Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stack & Whack Wednesday

My Work In Progress this week is a Stack & Whack block quilt made from the Celia Benartex fabric line.   I purchased a set of 12 fat quarters some time ago and  decided it was time to pull it off the shelf and make something fun.   
 


I must say this fabric and pattern is a little "out of my box" so to speak.   But I am enjoying working with it.  I had enough fabric to have four stacks of fabric measuring 8 1/2 inches square. I then used my rotary cutter and cut each stack into nine blocks. Nothing was even or measured, so each of the four stacks will be completely different.  That's what makes it fun.

 
My pattern is a variation of the nine patch stack & whack found at http://www.ohfransson.com/.
Then  I rotated the fabric patches in each stack to the back.
i.e: 1st stack the top fabric went to the back, 2nd stack the top two fabrics went to the back etc....   So no 2 blocks should be the same, and each block should have one of each of the nine fabrics.
I was able to  lay the patches out and string sew them together. Keeping organized was the key & not stopping to switch the wash or answer the phone.  It worked pretty well.  
 
So I now have all four stacks of fabric sewed together in blocks and will try to finish up the top this weekend.  I have to decide if I want narrow strips between the blocks or let them butt together.
Decisions Decisions. 
 
More to come on this WIP.  
 
WIPWednesday
 
Everyone  Think Spring!!    

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun quilt. I have wanted to try that same one for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this method. How cool! I can't wait to see it turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric and love your plan!

    ReplyDelete